Translate

Friday, March 5, 2021

The Search for Significance; A Book Review

Years ago, my wife was given a book to read. She never finished it. I did, though, at a time I needed it most. I felt utterly worthless. That book is…

“Robert McGee’s best-selling book has helped millions of readers learn how to be free to enjoy Christ’s love while no longer basing their self-worth on their accomplishments or the opinions of others. In fact, Billy Graham said that it was a book that “should be read by every Christian.”

In this re-launch of this timeless classic, you will:

Gain new skills for getting off the performance treadmill

Discover how four false beliefs have negatively impacted your life

Learn how to overcome obstacles that prevent you from experiencing the truth that your self-worth is found only in the love, acceptance, and forgiveness of Christ.”

One of Casey’s highlights reads:

“When we base our security on success and others’ opinions, we become dependent on our abilities to perform and please others. We develop a have-to mentality: I have to do well on this exam (or my security as a good student will be threatened)…” pg 23

“We don’t have to have success or anyone else’s approval. Of course, it would be nice to have success and approval, but the point is clear that Christ is the source of our security; Christ is the basis of our worth; Christ is the only one who promises and never fails.” pg 24

The author then examines four false beliefs, their consequences, and God’s solution for them. 

The Performance Trap’s striving to meet specific standards to feel good about themselves. This leads to perfectionism, fear of failure, manipulation to achieve success, etc. God’s answer? 

“Justification means that God not only has forgiven me of my sins but also granted me the righteousness of Christ. Because of justification, I bear Christ’s righteousness, and I am therefore fully pleasing to the Father (Romans 5:1).” pg 27

The Approval Addict’s desire to be approved by certain others leads to fear of rejection. It attempts to please others at any cost, among other things. It sounded like when I was in school. It looks a lot like social media.

God’s answer is Reconciliation. 

“Reconciliation means that although I was at one time hostile toward God and alienated from Him, I am now forgiven and have been brought into an intimate relationship with Him. Consequently, I am totally accepted by God (Col. 1:21-22).” pg 27

The Blame Game thinks that those who fail (including themselves) are unworthy of love and deserve to be punished. They fear punishment, punish others, and blame others for their personal failure in the drive to avoid failure. 

God’s answer…

“Propitiation means that by His death on the cross Christ satisfied God’s wrath; therefore, I am deeply loved by God (1 John 4:9-11).” pg 27

Shame feels like they cannot change and are hopeless. God’s answer…

“Regeneration means that I am a new creation in Christ (John 3:3-6).” pg 27

It’s a combination of workbook and book, so if any of these resonate with you, I urge you to get the book. Work through the issues. 

I give this book 4 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment