Translate

Monday, March 8, 2021

How Much Credibility Do You Have?

 I was thinking about credibility and how having it is like having money in a bank account. You add and subtract from it by what you do, say, or post. 

Facebook is a great example. If you spam my feed or Messenger with fake news, extremist views, and conspiracy theories, your credibility account is negative. 

An occasional one doesn’t put you in the negative. Neither does having a different opinion than me—a lack of fact-checking will.

I get spammed by videos and articles that I ignore. Why? I don’t have the bandwidth to fact-check, work, study, and take care of my family. 

Life is more peaceful because of it. Especially after I stopped watching 24/7 news many years ago. I scan Reuters and get email digests from the local paper and Disrn, so I am aware, but I’m not consumed by the information.

Then there are those on my Facebook like Dr. Knott. When she posts, and not that often, it’s long and well thought out. Brian posts quotes from what he is reading (and adds to my to-read pile). Pastor Rod rarely posts, but when he does, it’s either about family or church. 

Their credibility accounts are full. 

Why is this important? 

Suppose you use all your credibility in one area and bankrupt it. In that case, it won’t be taken as seriously when you post something else.

It’s wrapped up in the power of reputation.

You can get canceled for something you said years ago when you were younger and dumber. Employers are looking at social media before they hire people. 

I don’t know how well it works for me since a person’s credibility account is based on an individual’s perception. You will still see lots of family pictures, funny memories, memes, and missing person alerts. Occasionally I post a status update.

Once a week, I get serious on Mondays with a blog post. Then on Friday, a book review from the vast well of books I’ve read. 

I do have opinions. That’s what my journal is for. If you really want to know, I may have written about it or you can ask me. I’ll probably tell you it’s complicated.

What does your social media feed look like? Is it biased, emotional, full of buzz words, or is it balanced? Full of cats, coffee, and commas like my editor’s?

Would anyone take you seriously? Why should anyone take you seriously?

Consider that before you post, because one post affects the others. It lets people know how well you think things through.

Think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment