Translate

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Ignorantly Brilliant

We tend to think people with high IQs are smart, and they are. It takes more than that though. I have a higher than average IQ, and have been called "brilliant".

The thing is I still do some pretty dumb stuff. Common sense stuff.

IQ tests cover a variety of areas, we are wired to be stronger in some ways, and weaker in others.
I'm strongest with spelling, yet feel stupid when I play Scrabble. That hurts as a writer.

And no one will ever accuse me of being good at math.

A week and a half ago I was visiting a friend at work. He's a software engineer. I looked at his computer screen, made no sense to me.

He's trained. I'm not. Focused IQ.

That same day I got to fly a C-130 simulator. I "killed us on multiple occasions" even knowing how aerodynamics work. Countless switches.

Training again.

I go to an in-depth Bible class. Really smart people are there. I feel dumb and I love it.
Hang around people smarter than you. You have your areas of expertise, they have theirs. You can always learn.

Socrates allegedly said, "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
That's a helpful way to get around the cognitive-bias called The Dunning-Krueger Effect. It's a bias where incompetent people don't realize they're incompetent.

Know anyone like that? Is it you?

Always be a student.

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're probably in the wrong room.

No comments:

Post a Comment